All about Panchagavya
Panchagavya is a derivation of five ingredients and it has been considered as a miraculous substance. The five ingredients are:
- Cow’s dung- ½ parts
- Cow’s urine-1 part
- Curd- 2 parts
- Ghee- 1 part
- Cow’s milk- 3 parts
These five ingredients when mixed in the given proportion are called Panchagavya. It has been used in agriculture as a natural fertilizer and as a health supplement. The ingredients of Panchagavya are considered to have medicinal properties so they individually are beneficial to the health and crops. To understand more about Panchagavya, we need to know about the various ingredients of the composition.
- Cow’s urine: It has been scientifically acknowledged that cow’s urine can be used in the treatment of around 3000 diseases. It is mainly composed of water with small amounts of salts, creatinine, nitrogen, gold acids, lactose, potash, calcium, phosphorous, vitamins A, B, C, D, E, enzymes and hipuric acid. Cow’s urine is effective in curing digestive and urinary problems. It is also highly effective in curing skin diseases such as psoriasis and eczema. A few days of consumption, the blood circulation is improved and the presence of toxins in the blood is reduced. Cow urine is used in agriculture as a bio fertilizer and the effects of using it instead of urea based fertilizers are tremendous. When cow’s urine is used the leaves are greener and the soil is more habitable to microorganisms. The yield increases and the texture of the soil changes.
- Cow’s dung: Cow’s dung has been used for a long time as a disinfectant. It is still applied to the walls and floors of the house to keep them free of bacteria and to prevent the growth of any disease causing germs. It is also used in treating certain skin diseases like itching and ringworm. It also has properties to destroy malaria and tuberculosis causing microorganisms. When mixed with biomass it can form a highly effective bio fertilizer. It is also being used in the rural areas as a bio fuel due to the high amounts of latent energy in it.
- Curd: Curd is one of the most nutritious foods derived from the cow. It is basically curdled milk. It is a high source of protein and vitamins. It is considered one of the most wholesome foods and is given to patients of diarrhoea and dysentery to stabilise their condition. It is also useful in preventing premature aging and removing of wrinkles.
- Ghee: Ghee is the best choice when it comes to consumption by people suffering from heart diseases and high cholesterol levels. It keeps the mind and body healthy when consumed regularly. It improves skin quality, helps in gaining muscles and is a good protein source. It is also used during religious rituals.
- Milk: Milk is one of the food items that have been a part of the human diet from centuries. Of all the varieties of milk, cow’s milk is considered as the best. It contains minerals and nutrients that are not available in other food. It is a complete package of nutrients and minerals. It nourishes the entire body and mind, strengthens bones and rejuvenates the skin and the digestive system.
Panchagavya is used to protect soil quality and ensure it contains the necessary nutrients necessary for the crops. It also enables the essential microorganisms to grow. It is cheaper and more nature friendly than artificial fertilizers. It can also cure already infected plants and increases their immunity. It also protects the plants from drought like conditions. Thus, apart from health benefits, Panchagavya also helps in agriculture and thus its use should be encouraged and promoted.